Skip to main content

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab- 5 stars

If you have previously read my reviews (here and on instagram) you know I place great importance on the author's ability to make the reader feel completely and utterly emerged into the world he/she created regardless of how real it is or it is not. Victoria Schwab manages just that! I went to bed dreaming of a world of monsters, of brave and kind monsters that are more lovable than most humans.

The main characters have an amazing dynamic! And considering there is little to no romance in this book I would say that shows the talent of the author. That is not something easily done. Think of your favorite YA fantasy books and tell me one that is both popular and has no romance in it. Done? Bet you didn't came out with much!

The story was unique and intriguing. I don't really have any other book with even a similar story line. The book is set in a world were two forces are against each other and monsters are a real threat in between the two. What makes it unique is that it portrays humans as sometimes worse than the worse monsters, a comparison that I am sure does not goes lost in any reader today.
The book is gory, it doesn't shy away from what monsters do/eat 😉 It is not off putting in way, its well written. I have read this last year and the only other book I could use as an example here is The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. Not the story, they are very different books, but the way both authors manage to maintain beauty amidst blood shed!

August character is beautifully written, complex, dynamic, dimensional and relatable. He may be a monster but his struggles are very much struggles many of us face. I adore her representation of his issues with sensory overload. It is not an issue touched often (if ever) and it was very well portrayed. He is a monster and wishes he wasn't, but as the book progresses it is that side of him that marvels the reader. If he wasn't a monster ... (well, I will let you read and find out 😊)
Kate is rather interesting! She is bitter and cruel. She very much wants to be evil. And she succeeds for the most part too. The things she did to impress her evil dad are nasty. But, wanting to be cruel and actually being cruel are different things. She is just a lonely kid wanting her family to love her. How many kids out there can relate to that? To wanting to be loved? To having parents too busy working and not having enough time for them? The amount of kids who end up in trouble simply to get their parents attention is grand, and in the end of the day, that is who Kate is (with the exception that her dad IS evil and getting his attention requires a lot more than a few tantrums!)

Go read!

GoodReads:
There’s no such thing as safe in a city at war, a city overrun with monsters. In this dark urban fantasy from author Victoria Schwaba young woman and a young man must choose whether to become heroes or villains—and friends or enemies—with the future of their home at stake. 

Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city—a city where the violence has begun to breed actual monsters. All Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the monsters roam free and makes the humans pay for his protection. All August wants is to be human, as good-hearted as his own father, to play a bigger role in protecting the innocent—but he’s one of the monsters. One who can steal a soul with a simple strain of music. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate, who’s just been kicked out of her sixth boarding school and returned home, August jumps at it. But Kate discovers August’s secret, and after a failed assassination attempt the pair must flee for their lives.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Promises and Pomegranates (Monsters & Muses #1) by Sav R. Miller

I was very excited about this read. The reviews are good, the people recommending it were people whose recommendations I have liked in the past. And in the end, at did like this one. But I will confess from the start that Promises and Pomegranates  did not blow me away. Blurb: Elena To most, Kal Anderson is a villain. Harbinger of death, keeper of souls, frequenter of nightmares. Doctor Death. Hades incarnate. They say he stole me. Usurped my fiancé and filled the cracks in my heart with empty promises. Imprinted his crimson fingerprints on my psyche and tried to set me free. They’re not wrong, per se. Except it was my choice to stay. Kal To most, Elena Ricci is an innocent. Goddess of springtime, lover of poetry, angel of my nightmares. Little one. Persephone personified. They say I ruined her. Shattered her virtue and devoured her soul like a succulent pomegranate. Embedded my evil as deep as I could possibly get and tried to set her free. They’re not wrong, per se. Except it was she

Crow and Reaper by A. Zavarelli (Boston Underworld #1 and #2)

Crow and Reaper by A. Zavarelli (Boston Underworld #1 and #2) @glimpses_of_my_books These books are (to me at least) two VERY different books and the reason you should never give up on an author after just one book. I did not like Crow  one tiny bit. But I absolutely loved Reaper . One is a 1 star, while the other is a 4...  Let's start with the good first, Reaper . Ronan is likely to break your heart. Throughout the book we get snippets of his past, accounts of everything he had to go through before Crow and his mother find him and save him from the horrible life he was leaving. In a way, although I wasn't a fun of Crow in the first book, his love and care for Ronan had made me like him a little better. Ronan is not quiet, moody, and broody by choice. It is a consequence of all the things he has been through, the things I mentioned above that will break your heart... He is caring and loving, but he has no idea how to put those things in action. He is, in a way, one of the mos

Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy #1) by Ashley Jade

Continuing with my newest obsession, bully romance, we now have Jace. Insufferable, hateful, vengeful Jace. Blurb: I never thought I'd step foot in Royal Manor again. But four years later, here I am... back to finish my senior year at Royal Hearts Academy. And forced to face Jace Covington. My first friend. First crush. First kiss. The one I left behind. Only—he isn't the same boy I gave my heart to. This new Jace is as cruel as he is gorgeous. And he's determined to make my life a living hell. Along with the rest of his glorified family and crew of tyrants. They expect me to worship the ground they walk on like everyone else, but I'd rather eat dirt. If Jace Covington wants me gone...he'll have to try harder. Because I've never been the kind of girl to play by the rules. Jace is cruel. Not as cruel as some of the other bully romances I've been reading lately, but he is definitely not a nice guy. Burnt by his past, still hurting from everything that happened