Skip to main content

Our Dark Duet By Victoria E Schwab- 4.3/5 stars

"I know it hurts" She said, "so make it worth the pain"
(the single most heartbreaking line in the whole book)

For the Book Blurb Click here

Victoria Schwab has just received a new title: Queen of Mean. I was devastated by the time I finished reading this. I can't tell you why of-course, that would be a spoiler, just know you might need a box of tissues!

Our Dark Duet stars off a few months after August and Kate went their separate ways. August is in the South City being the monsters he believes he needs to be in order to keep humans safe. He is reaping the souls of those who committed violent acts and is slowly but surely loosing the part of himself that once wanted to be human.

Kate on the other hand is in Prosperity fighting demons and running from her past. Until she gets face to face with a new kind of monster, is affected by it, and must return to Verity. When she returns her path and August's cross again.

There are two reasons why I did not believe The Dark Duet was as good as This Savage Song:
First, it was very slow to begin with. Having Kate and August completely separate made the story feel a little broken, discontinued... It was a few hundred pages before the story picked up. I understand the need to give the story a background since a new monster is introduced. However, it could have been done a little faster.
OR
And this brings us to the second problem... Kate meets a few people in Prosperity, works with them and become friends with them. Once she lives prosperity it is as if they ceased to exist. We never hear about them again. Have them been incorporated later in the story perhaps that long slow beginning would not feel so disconnected from the rest of the book. It is like the first part of the book was completely forgotten by the author once Kate was in Verity and all old characters came back into play. I finished the booking going 'what?' 'how about this and that person?' 

All that being said, obviously the book deserves praise! Once August and Kate were back in each other lives the book evolved and became the fast paced, action packed, heart wrenching story we got to love in This Savage Song.

August is, no shadow of doubt, one of the most interesting characters ever created. VE Schwab did an amazing job. His character developed in just two books in a way most authors would need a whole 5-6 book series to manage the same effect. He is loving, caring, loyal... and he is also strong, fierce, powerful, and scary! It is amazing and impossible at once to imagine that such a gentle wonderful creature was born of a mass killing, gets tally mark tattoos on his body to keep himself on check and not be a monster, and at the same time is exactly that, reaping souls from left to right!

Kate Harker is one fierce female. And yet, not like most book heroins out there, she is not unafraid. She goes head first into problems and doesn't let anything shake her down. And her character development is also amazing... to think she went from being a monster hater to tolerating one particular one, to than being a monster hunter, and in the end not just fighting besides monsters, but even caring for them.

The best and worse part of the book is the end. It will rip your heart. Crush your soul. Be ready! 
It was perfect. It could not have ended differently. In order for to have a different ending another book would have been needed to find a solution to a little 'problem'.... so it was the right ending. But it was sad. So very sad...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Promises and Pomegranates (Monsters & Muses #1) by Sav R. Miller

I was very excited about this read. The reviews are good, the people recommending it were people whose recommendations I have liked in the past. And in the end, at did like this one. But I will confess from the start that Promises and Pomegranates  did not blow me away. Blurb: Elena To most, Kal Anderson is a villain. Harbinger of death, keeper of souls, frequenter of nightmares. Doctor Death. Hades incarnate. They say he stole me. Usurped my fiancĂ© and filled the cracks in my heart with empty promises. Imprinted his crimson fingerprints on my psyche and tried to set me free. They’re not wrong, per se. Except it was my choice to stay. Kal To most, Elena Ricci is an innocent. Goddess of springtime, lover of poetry, angel of my nightmares. Little one. Persephone personified. They say I ruined her. Shattered her virtue and devoured her soul like a succulent pomegranate. Embedded my evil as deep as I could possibly get and tried to set her free. They’re not wrong, per se. Except it was she

Crow and Reaper by A. Zavarelli (Boston Underworld #1 and #2)

Crow and Reaper by A. Zavarelli (Boston Underworld #1 and #2) @glimpses_of_my_books These books are (to me at least) two VERY different books and the reason you should never give up on an author after just one book. I did not like Crow  one tiny bit. But I absolutely loved Reaper . One is a 1 star, while the other is a 4...  Let's start with the good first, Reaper . Ronan is likely to break your heart. Throughout the book we get snippets of his past, accounts of everything he had to go through before Crow and his mother find him and save him from the horrible life he was leaving. In a way, although I wasn't a fun of Crow in the first book, his love and care for Ronan had made me like him a little better. Ronan is not quiet, moody, and broody by choice. It is a consequence of all the things he has been through, the things I mentioned above that will break your heart... He is caring and loving, but he has no idea how to put those things in action. He is, in a way, one of the mos

Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy #1) by Ashley Jade

Continuing with my newest obsession, bully romance, we now have Jace. Insufferable, hateful, vengeful Jace. Blurb: I never thought I'd step foot in Royal Manor again. But four years later, here I am... back to finish my senior year at Royal Hearts Academy. And forced to face Jace Covington. My first friend. First crush. First kiss. The one I left behind. Only—he isn't the same boy I gave my heart to. This new Jace is as cruel as he is gorgeous. And he's determined to make my life a living hell. Along with the rest of his glorified family and crew of tyrants. They expect me to worship the ground they walk on like everyone else, but I'd rather eat dirt. If Jace Covington wants me gone...he'll have to try harder. Because I've never been the kind of girl to play by the rules. Jace is cruel. Not as cruel as some of the other bully romances I've been reading lately, but he is definitely not a nice guy. Burnt by his past, still hurting from everything that happened