Skip to main content

All the Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater- 5 Stars are not enough

Absolutely Brilliant!!!!!!!
I am delighted that I got to meet her for this book's signing, it makes it that much more special. I told her at the signing my favorite work by her was The Scorpio Races, well... not anymore! This was amazing. A perfect story, at a perfect pace, with amazingly well written characters.
Sooo many amazing quotes too! I will be quoting this book for weeks 😄

The Blurb:
Here is a thing everyone wants: a miracle.

Here is a thing everyone fears: what it takes to get one.
Any visitor to Bicho Raro, Colorado is likely to find a landscape of dark saints, forbidden love, scientific dreams, miracle-mad owls, estranged affections, one or two orphans, and a sky full of watchful desert stars.

At the heart of this place you will find the Soria family, who all have the ability to perform unusual miracles. And at the heart of this family are three cousins longing to change its future: Beatriz, the girl without feelings, who wants only to be free to examine her thoughts; Daniel, the Saint of Bicho Raro, who performs miracles for everyone but himself; and Joaquin, who spends his nights running a renegade radio station under the name Diablo Diablo.

They are all looking for a miracle. But the miracles of Bicho Raro are never quite what you expect. 


This beautiful and intricate story was just what you would expect from Maggie Stiefvater. It was full of magic, full of complex and weird yet beautiful characters, it was warming, it was exciting!
It was also different than what I would expect from Maggie Stiefvater. 
Doesn't matter how much I love her stories and the worlds she creates I have always struggled with the pace of her books, with the style of writing. All the Crooked Saints however was almost poetic. I wanted to stand in the middle of my leaving room and read the book allowed in a silly theatrical fashion (with my British accent in full force). In my humble opinion this was the most beautifully written of all her books. I finished it in two sittings and that is only because the first time around I started too late in the evening.  

At the end of All the Crooked Saints I felt as one would while sitting on a porch on a winter day with the warm sun right on you warming you up and keeping you cozy. There was something magical and beautiful about the whole story that just made me fell better about the world. 
The way she described the many facets of human emotions and how different people deal with it was fantastic. The idea that we all have some form of darkness inside of us that manifests itself differently was just genius. And more importantly, truthful. And I guess it is the fact that is was truthful that made it all that more touching. It was easy to relate to all the characters, it was easy to feel how they feel and follow their journey with them. 

This book is about so many different things that it is hard to put in one paragraph (in true Stiefvater fashion I suppose)
It is about saints;
It is about miracles;
It is about owls;
It is about old cars;
It is about the inner darkness in all of us;
It is about love;
It is about growing and learning;
It is about getting lost;
It is also about finding oneself again;
It is about the Soria family. A family of saints who can perform the miracle of bringing out into shape the darkness inside another person so that the person can face it and hopefully get rid of it. But the saints cannot interfere with that second part of the miracle. So the book is also about self restraint. About following rules and about breaking rules. It is about family and it is about friends. 

Every single one of the characters was a delight to read. From the Soria family, to the pilgrims, to the angry rooster! All of them. No exceptions. I don't even think I can pick a favorite, it just feels unfair on all the others. 

All in all it is a rather whimsical story and for the  most part I felt like I was reading a beautifully crafted old fairy tale! One of those you grow up listening too and never ever forget. 
Pure Perfection!


“The conception of perfection exists only so we have something to strive toward. Impossibility is built into it, which is why we call it perfect instead of extremely good.” 

“Fear and rage are not very different when you think about it, two hungry animals that often hunt the same prey—emotion—and hide from the same predator—logic.” 

“One can never tell what will make one person happy and leave another untouched. Often even the person involved will be surprised by what makes them happy.” 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Promises and Pomegranates (Monsters & Muses #1) by Sav R. Miller

I was very excited about this read. The reviews are good, the people recommending it were people whose recommendations I have liked in the past. And in the end, at did like this one. But I will confess from the start that Promises and Pomegranates  did not blow me away. Blurb: Elena To most, Kal Anderson is a villain. Harbinger of death, keeper of souls, frequenter of nightmares. Doctor Death. Hades incarnate. They say he stole me. Usurped my fiancé and filled the cracks in my heart with empty promises. Imprinted his crimson fingerprints on my psyche and tried to set me free. They’re not wrong, per se. Except it was my choice to stay. Kal To most, Elena Ricci is an innocent. Goddess of springtime, lover of poetry, angel of my nightmares. Little one. Persephone personified. They say I ruined her. Shattered her virtue and devoured her soul like a succulent pomegranate. Embedded my evil as deep as I could possibly get and tried to set her free. They’re not wrong, per se. Except it was she

Crow and Reaper by A. Zavarelli (Boston Underworld #1 and #2)

Crow and Reaper by A. Zavarelli (Boston Underworld #1 and #2) @glimpses_of_my_books These books are (to me at least) two VERY different books and the reason you should never give up on an author after just one book. I did not like Crow  one tiny bit. But I absolutely loved Reaper . One is a 1 star, while the other is a 4...  Let's start with the good first, Reaper . Ronan is likely to break your heart. Throughout the book we get snippets of his past, accounts of everything he had to go through before Crow and his mother find him and save him from the horrible life he was leaving. In a way, although I wasn't a fun of Crow in the first book, his love and care for Ronan had made me like him a little better. Ronan is not quiet, moody, and broody by choice. It is a consequence of all the things he has been through, the things I mentioned above that will break your heart... He is caring and loving, but he has no idea how to put those things in action. He is, in a way, one of the mos

Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy #1) by Ashley Jade

Continuing with my newest obsession, bully romance, we now have Jace. Insufferable, hateful, vengeful Jace. Blurb: I never thought I'd step foot in Royal Manor again. But four years later, here I am... back to finish my senior year at Royal Hearts Academy. And forced to face Jace Covington. My first friend. First crush. First kiss. The one I left behind. Only—he isn't the same boy I gave my heart to. This new Jace is as cruel as he is gorgeous. And he's determined to make my life a living hell. Along with the rest of his glorified family and crew of tyrants. They expect me to worship the ground they walk on like everyone else, but I'd rather eat dirt. If Jace Covington wants me gone...he'll have to try harder. Because I've never been the kind of girl to play by the rules. Jace is cruel. Not as cruel as some of the other bully romances I've been reading lately, but he is definitely not a nice guy. Burnt by his past, still hurting from everything that happened